Local 51 Pipefitters are the best in the business when it comes to the installation and repair of all pressure pipe systems that are used in manufacturing, in the generation of electricity and in the heating and cooling of buildings. They also install automatic controls that are increasingly being used to regulate these systems. Additional instruction is required to receive certification in the various welding disciplines.
Local 51 Journeyperson Pipefitters are experts in a number of areas including: Fossil Fuel, Power Generation Piping, Nuclear Power Generation Piping, Welding: Heliarc, Mechanical, Orbital and Shielded Metal Arc.
The work environment for apprentice and journeyperson pipefitters varies. All prospective applicants must take into consideration the following factors:
- Jobsites are both indoors and outdoors.
- Workers are exposed to very hot or very cold temperatures. Indoor spaces might not be temperature controlled, and the weather outdoors is unpredictable.
- Exposed to sounds and noise levels that are distracting and uncomfortable.
- Required to work in high places, such as on scaffolds.
- Occasionally be exposed to extremely bright or low light conditions.
- Regularly wear safety and protective attire.
- Cramped work places that require getting into awkward positions.